Carnaval Porteño 2015 - Buenos Aires Carnival
Every weekend from Saturday January 31st until Saturday February 28th, 2015, and on Carnaval Holidays, Monday February 16th and Tuesday February 17th, the “Carnaval Porteño 2015” (Buenos Aires Carnival) will take place at different neighborhoods, with the participation of 17 thousand artists, 112 "murgas" (carnival bands), and over one thousand drums and percussion instruments.
Murgas and carnival are the artistic expressions of the marginal neighborhoods, their songs and urban folk customs. The lyrics of these songs are called "criticas", and combine the social denunciation with humor and dancing. What identifies the "murga porteña" from others are their costumes (frock coat, gloves, top hat, and stick), the drums with cymbals, and the various traditional rhythms used to differentiate every neighborhood.
The parades will be held on the following times:
Saturdays, January 31 and February 7, 14, 21, 28: 7 PM to 2 AM.
Sundays, February 1, 8, 15, 22: 7 PM to 12 AM
Monday, February 16: 7 PM to 2 AM.
Tuesday, February 17: 7 PM to 12 AM.
Some of the locations around the city where to watch the parades:
- Almagro: Av. Corrientes between Medrano and Bulnes
- Almagro II: Amphitheater Parque Centenario
- Balvanera: Av. Belgrano between Saavedra and Matheu
- Boedo 1: Av. Boedo between San Juan and Independencia
- Boedo 2: Av. Belgrano between Colombres and Maza
- Colegiales: Plaza de los Colegiales, Benjamin Matienzo and Conesa
- Coghlan: Av Congreso between Donado and Lugones
- La Boca: Benito Perez Galdoz between Necochea y Pedro de Mendoza
- Palermo: Darwin between Cabrera and Gorriti
- Palermo Soho: Av. Scalabrini Ortiz & Soler
- Saavedra I: Av. Balbín between Plaza and Jaramillo
- Saavedra II: Av. Balbin between Pico and Arias
- San Telmo: Av. Independencia between Bolivar and Chacabuco
- Villa Crespo: Av. Scalabrini Ortiz between Av. Corrientes and Padilla
All the events are free of charge.